Thursday, March 3, 2011

Turn off the tears, Mommy!

Owen Bentley Aspinall was born three years ago at 6:56pm. As is our custom, we celebrated today at 6:56pm. (Not sure we'll continue that custom with Sophie who was born at 5:15am, although I could see Keith waking me up to do that.) We celebrated with a family hug, which on an ordinary day sometimes makes me tear up, let alone while thinking about the day that changed my life forever. So yeah, I started visibly crying. I tried explaining to Owen that it was a good cry, but he kept saying "Turn off the tears, Mommy!" So I did. Until Keith showed me a Zits comic strip that we have on our refrigerator about reminiscing of when their son was young. (Keith takes pride in getting me to cry.) Again, "Turn off the tears, Mommy!"

This is really a birthday week for Owen. Tuesday my parents came over to install their birthday present to Owen: a new sandbox. My Dad built it, and I think it turned out really great:
From O So March 2011

From O So March 2011

This morning we had pancakes, Owen's favorite breakfast. Tonight for dinner we had pizza. They celebrated today at school with a special snack (provided by us) of corn muffins and sang to Owen while he was wearing his special birthday hat:
From O So March 2011

When I asked Owen what he wanted for his birthday dinner, the conversation went like this:
Me: "What do you want for your birthday dinner? Pizza? Pasta? Something else?"
Owen: "Something else."
Me, thinking: Really? No to pizza and pasta???
Me: "Chicken? Beef?"
Owen: "Beef." [pause] "No, chicken. Chicken Parmigiana." (with a head nod to show he made up his mind)
Which is funny, because Nana was telling me earlier that day that they had bought chicken to make chicken parmigiana. So that's what he is getting tomorrow night at Nana and Toolman's house.

And then on Saturday we are having a craft party at our house. Should be fun!

Right now Owen and Daddy are doing a floor puzzle that Owen got from his aunt, uncle and cousin in California (thanks Katie, Ken & Ben!). That leaves me time to write this blog and to read Owen's birth story and pictures once again. Which, of course, is turning the tears back on. :-)
From Owen

No comments:

Post a Comment