Monday, March 21, 2011

Celebrations

My last post was written on Owen's birthday. A lot has happened since then. On that Saturday we had Owen's birthday party. I think Owen had a good time, although I could see why they say you should only invite as many friends as they are years old. It can be a bit overwhelming, and we probably made it more a party for us than for him. We went back and forth on whether to invite Owen's classmates, and decided to only invite a couple of his "girlfriends" that he hangs out with a lot at school (and the parents that we talked to the most). Only one was able to make it (the famous Abby), and Owen was really excited to see her. When I told Owen before the party that she was coming, he would say "No! She's at school!". He apparently he thought she lived at school, and did not exist elsewhere. We were going to wait until after the party to open gifts, but Owen decided he didn't want to wait - at some point during the party he just started opening them! In the past he always wanted us to help him with the unwrapping - he didn't quite know how to rip everything off, but he's over that now. Since then he gets excited when we bring in the mail - he loves opening envelopes.

On the 10th Keith and I celebrated our 10 year anniversary. 10 years!! Crazy! That morning I was reading to Owen when out of nowhere Keith sat beside us with his laptop and asked Owen if he wanted to watch a video. I thought it was rude for him to interrupt our learning moment with a video of all things, but then I saw what he was up to. Keith had created a slide show set to music (one of "our" songs) of pictures from the last 10 years. I immediately started welling up. It was beautiful, and I could tell Keith put a lot of work into it. If you didn't see it on Facebook, here it is:



That weekend we took the kids to Nana and Toolman's house (on Nana's birthday) so Keith and I could go out to dinner on our own. We went to Noca, even though they ended up not taking our Groupon on Sundays. I wasn't feeling well (I ended up being sick the next day), so I'll reserve my review for the next time we go, but it's worth mentioning that they served us cotton candy before our dessert. Cotton candy at a fancy restaurant! That is just weird to me, but maybe I just don't get out to contemporary restaurants enough.

This past weekend we took our first family trip to celebrate Gretchen and Jeff's wedding (some Ultimate Frisbee friends). It was held at Agua Linda Farm, in Amado, about 45 minutes South of Tucson. The timing worked well because we were also able to see my brother and his family who live in San Diego. It was nice to catch up with some friends and to get the kids out and about. Sophie, once again travelled well, despite all the "stuff" we needed to bring to feed her. Owen got a big kick out of the "photo booth" they had set up with fun costumes to take silly pictures. Owen is normally too shy to wonder far from us, but he surprised us by leaving our dinner table (about 25 yards away) several times to go get a different part of a costume. Since he liked it so much we are now working on creating a costume box for playing with at home. The ceremony and location was very unique and pretty, (not to mention the beautiful bride!), so Keith and I had fun taking pictures.

Today (or yesterday for most of you reading this) is Sophie's 8 month birthday. Sophie is doing really well; has stayed healthy, and is progressing on her physical therapy. She starts occupational therapy tomorrow. She is oh-so-close to turning over from her back to her tummy (she can already do tummy to back). She isn't really nippling any better, but enjoys eating from the spoon, which is good news.

All this celebrating apparently wore Owen out. We've given up trying to get Owen down for a nap on the weekends (I'll post more on his sleeping habits at a later time), so he finally went down for his nap at 4pm yesterday...and then didn't get up until 5am this morning (and snuggled with Keith until 6:30am). And still took a long nap today at school. There's a lot more that I'd like to blog about, but I'll keep that for another day, as sleep sounds good to me right now!

From Owen's 3rd Birthday Party

No comments:

Post a Comment