Thursday, October 28, 2010

Green beans!

About two weeks ago now, Owen gobbled down some green beans. And then he had some more. I facebooked that he set a world record, but we could only estimate the number that he ate. A couple of days later, I made sure to count. We guessed he ate 24 in the previous attempt, so I laid out 25 for him on a plate. After having some of his other dinner, he got to work.

He wasn't that interested at first, but green beans are one of the foods that we have a "fun" way to eat--a typewriter style of chomps. Owen doesn't quite have the direction right--I do it from the side so he can see it go into my mouth, but he goes straight in. But once he got started, he kept going. Joanne captured his record breaking attempt:



So 25 green beans. That is a mighty fine number. THe video ends with Owen refusing #26, but he was just catching his breath. He had a little water, then got back in the groove. We put more on his plate, and as he continued to down them, he started sharing, giving one to Joanne and one to me. He kept the biggest ones for himself.

He finished the night with 36, with the last one being a raw one.

On Tuesday, he topped even that with 38, but I think that deserves an asterisk. He did the green beans first and he had, by my eye, more smaller ones. Still, when I ask people what's a good number of green beans for a toddler to eat (i'm talking about real green beans where you cut off the tips, not the canned cut up stuff), pretty much everyone says four. Nana claims it's hereditary though--apparently my brother and I both ate our beans, even choosing them over cookies, which perplexed my grandfather. If we did the same, I think Owen would pick the beans. But if it was a corn muffin... Well, Owen claims to like only one thing more than corn muffins and that's milk.

3 comments:

  1. Loved the video. When you asked him muffins vs pancakes, I was surprised he picked the muffins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. An additional note - Dad not knowing what JT wrote on FB said that we should enter Owen in the Coney Island hot dog contest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My kids eat green beans pretty easily. But I don't think we ever offer more than 4 and they certainly don't ask for seconds.

    ReplyDelete