Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Waiting Game

Today was a frustrating day for me. The main thing keeping Sophie in the hospital right now is her inability to nipple her feeds. I was at the hospital for 3 feeds today, and the max she took from the bottle was 15 CCs (her total feed is 64CCs now). If you ignore today and yesterday's daytime feeds she is still improving (they tell me she has nippled a full feeding several times at night), but I haven't been able to see the improvement the last couple of days. Part of the issue is that the docs thought she might have a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). In order to test for a UTI, they took a urine sample from a catheter on Tuesday. She was not happy during that. That sample came back positive, but since they had a hard time getting the sample, they don't think it was a clean sample. So on Wednesday they took another sample, this time giving Sophie a sedative to calm her down. So far that sample has come back negative, but we won't know for sure until tomorrow. In the meantime they are giving her additional antibiotics (she was already on amoxicilan for her kidney) through an IV in case she does have a UTI. Hopefully tomorrow it will come back negative and they can take the IV out.

Once a day I try to put Sophie to breast to get her used to breastfeeding. She typically will latch on and suck for a few seconds, then spit out the nipple. She'll repeat that a few times then either become too upset or fall asleep. I am having a hard time seeing how the progression from bottle to breast will go. I know it should eventually happen, but it seems like a long way off.


From LGA Arrives!
Sophie "smiling" at Nana.

I am also missing frisbee. Fall league started this week. This is the 4th league I will miss since I tore my ACL in July '09. I didn't really mind not playing while I was pregnant because, well, pregnancy is a happy thing. Now I'm not playing because my injured leg is still bothering me. It's just not strong enough. I sometimes limp just walking around, let alone running. I know it will get better with exercise, but that, once again, seems like a long process.

I thought the good Lord had already blessed me with a good dose of patience, but apparently he wants to teach me more. :-) That's ok with me, as long as He helps me through it all, which I know He will.

Owen now has an attachment to a little dollhouse baby that he found at my parents. He calls her Sophie. He sometimes reads to her, and has her help him with the puzzles. It's really cute, but the doll is so small I'm worried we'll lose her (or that he'll choke on her!). I bought him a bigger doll to hopefully replace her, so we'll see.

We're a little worried about how Owen always wants us to help him with things. "Feed me" and "No, you do it!" are not uncommon words from his mouth. He's not very independent, which goes along with his shyness. So today we were surprised when he wanted to go down the stairs all by himself. (He did great, holding on to the railing and being careful.) So maybe there's hope!!

From Summer 2010

Owen with the little "Sophie".

2 comments:

  1. that sweet boy will be fine- he'll meet another shy kid & the two of them will help each other be brave little men! he's so smart & sweet, that i'm confident he'll find his place in this world with no problem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am continuing to pray for your family and especially for Sophie.

    Don't worry about Owen! Lexie, our very shy oldest daughter (who is now SIX) still doesn't like to do things for herself, she's timid and unsure. For the first time about 6 weeks ago, she finally went upstairs to her bedroom alone then came right back down to pronounce she had done it, we were waiting at the bottom of the stairs to cheer her on. Yet she does really well in school and appears to be a really happy kid (although I sometimes wonder that she is my kid?!?)

    Oh, but they don't outgrow it, either. She wanted me to pick out her underwear this morning and hand it to her. Really? You can't pick out your own panties?

    ReplyDelete