Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Happy Due Date Sophie!

Today was Sophie's due date. It is also her 8 week birthday. For Owen's due date we took a picture of Owen and I with one brownie with 40 on it, signifying how many days old he was, and one brownie with a 0 on it, signifying his adjusted age:
From Owen


Today I put sprinkles on a cookie to make a 56, Sophie's age in days. We're not supposed to have food in Sophie's room, so it's covered in plastic wrap (and I quietly took the picture while the nurses weren't paying attention. Shhh! Don't tell! ).
From LGA Arrives!



For Owen, his due date was sort of a celebration. Today was more of a commemoration, as it's not exactly a happy occasion. To me it just accentuates the fact that she's still in the hospital. She is still working on nippling her feeds. She is doing better - I can tell her technique is improving - but she still tends to fall asleep half way through her bottle. It's looking more and more (to me at least) like she will be coming home with a feeding tube. The good news is that they can't find a reason for her not to be nippling better (the EEG and MRI of her brain look good, which was a big relief), so she may just be a slow learner or is still affected by the surgery. I was encouraged today by how long she was able to latch on to my breast when we tried breastfeeding - still not getting much milk, but that was definitely the best she's done so far.

In other news, Nana and Sophie now have the same haircut. :-) Unfortunately you can't tell from today's photo (who hired this photographer, anyway??):
From LGA Arrives!


I was feeling a bit depressed when I came home from the hospital tonight (Sophie was wide awake when I left, which makes it hard to leave), but I got home in time to put Owen to bed, which made me feel better. When Owen first started going to school (before he could talk very much), I dreamt of the day when Owen would be able to tell me what he did at school. Up until now he's been able to answer our questions about school, but mainly with one word answers. Tonight, as we sat in the dark in his room, he told me all about his day: reading to Sophie (the doll), playing with the parachute, playing with Ms. Jenny and cars, and what they did when the fire drill went bzzzzz like a bumble bee (they went outside). What a joy!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, 56 days already? I can only imagine how hard it's been to have Sophie there, and the rest of the family at home. The only "up" side I can see, aside from the fact that she's getting the care she needs in the NICU and getting better as a result, is how great it will feel when your whole family is together at home.

    The picture with the cookie really shows how much she's grown, and what a cutie she is.

    jt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someday she will want to actually eat a cookie that is bigger than her head! You can definitely tell how much she has grown. It will only be a matter of time before you can snuggle both your little cuties to sleep. Hang in there! There are so many people thinking positive thoughts and praying for the littlest Spitfire!

    ReplyDelete