Friday, September 16, 2011

Crawling and Talking on the Phone

When Owen was younger, he liked things he could carry around and push buttons on. Of course that meant our cell phones and our home phones. That eventually progressed to actually talking on the phone (with the grandparents, of course!) At first he just listened to the voice on the other line. Then he started answering questions with a one word answer. Then longer answers. Then longer conversations. This past winter Nana was able to keep him on the phone for a good 20 minutes while Keith was feeding Sophie and I was out running.

We got a new phone system for Christmas, which was harder for him to hold, and had a better speaker phone function, so he takes advantage of that (hands) free-dom, by often running around the room singing some sort of song. This past week our friend Jason called me to wish me a happy birthday. Owen kept wanting me to get off the phone (he wanted to play with his cars with me, of course), so I asked him if he wanted to talk to Jason. Owen remembers Jason from Christmas and Sophie's baptism. Back when saying good nights to friends and family was part of the bedtime routine, he always included Jason, and he's always mentioned when we do the States puzzle (he is the honorary New Mexican). Owen surprised me (and I think Jason too) by starting the conversation himself (another sign Owen may be coming out of his shell--the last two weeks at school, he's said hello first to other adults in the hallway). It went something like this:

Owen:  What's your house number?
(I had to repeat the question because Jason didn't hear it.)
Jason:  I live in New Mexico, house # 220.
Owen, without skipping a beat:  What's your phone number?
Jason:  Huh, 123-456-7890.  What's your phone number?
Owen, pauses, then says:  123-55555
(I changed our first 3 numbers for privacy purposes, but in the conversation he got it right.  But note he put too many 5's)
Jason:  Wow, that's a lot of 5's.  How many 5's are there?
Owen, proceeding to count on his fingers:  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
(Mommy laughs)
Jason:  Oh, Owen, I have a joke for you since you told me the one about why 6 is afraid of 7
(Owen then runs around the room singing loudly "Cause 7 ate 9!")
Jason:  What did zero say to 8?  Nice belt!

I then explained to Jason that Owen didn't hear it because he was too busy running around, but that I'd explain it to him later.  Keith and I did explain it later, and Owen did get a big kick out of it.

In more number news, Sophie had her 2nd 1st Birthday this week.  Huh?  You read that right.  That's what I called her due date (Sept 15th).  So now Sophie is "adjusted" 1 year old.  And big news to go along with that:  she is now crawling!  On Monday, (the 12th, a day before my birthday), I saw her crawl about a foot.    The next two days she would move one leg, maybe two, then fall on her belly.  So I figured it might take a while before she actually started crawling on a regular basis, but she decided on Thursday that she liked it and was going to stick with it!  The video below is from Thursday; she got even better at it on Friday.

From Drop Box

I guess it's time to re-baby proof the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment