Sunday, August 7, 2011

Teething Bites!

...both literally and figuratively. Sophie bit me twice today. The second time my reaction may have scared her enough to not try it again, at least not anytime soon. It's another clue that she is teething. It's really quite frustrating, cause she has taken a step backwards in a lot of things: drinking from the bottle, eating solids, and sleeping.

At one point earlier in the summer Sophie was doing so well with the bottle - even finishing some bottles completely. Now she occasionally completely refuses the bottle. Her GI recently said that we should try to get Sophie to eat more baby food (she said normal kids would be eating 3 jars a day and we were at 1.5-2 jars), but lately she's wanted less. I gave her Greek yogurt the other day for the first time, and she absolutely loved it. But I've tried it twice since then and she gave me this look like "What in the world are you feeding me? This is terrible!" Earlier this week she woke up around midnight and would not calm down unless I held her (standing up) and walked her to sleep. Now she's easier to get back to sleep, but wakes up 4-6 times a night.

A little over a week ago I found a new tooth that had broken through (her upper right molar). She still only has 3 bottom incisors, so I keep expecting the fourth incisor or another molar to pop through, but nothing yet. I am, of course, *assuming* (or maybe it's "hoping") that this is all teething. I guess only time can tell. It does make me believe that we won't be able to take her g-tube out until she has all her teeth.

Good news is that Sophie's developmental pediatrician was very pleased with the progress she saw from her last appointment. She says Sophie is doing things in the 6-8 month range, which isn't too far behind her 10 month adjusted age.

Sophie had a great time at her birthday party. We had the grandparents and a few friends and their kids over for swimming, dinner & cake. I wasn't planning on giving Sophie any cake (I didn't want her to choke on it), but she absolutely loved it!! Sophie's feeding therapist said that sometimes sweets make kids forget about any feeding issues they have. It made for some great pictures, too!

For the last two weeks Owen has been going to swim lessons 4x a week. He was a little hesitant at first, but at least a dozen times over the two weeks he would turn around (he sits on the steps waiting his turn) and tell me "Mommy, I'm having fun!" with a big smile on his face. He learned how to blow bubbles, climb out of the pool, hang on to the side of the pool and make his way to the steps, and "airplane" (floating). At the end of the two weeks he got a ribbon for floating by himself, even though he only floated by himself for 5 seconds, not the 10 seconds that they said he needed to do. At the center where we did the lessons, SwimKids USA, they also do gymnastics. Every day Owen wanted to watch them do gymnastics through the window, and wanted to do it himself. So in a few weeks he's going to move to once a week for swim lessons, and we'll add gymnastics in there too. I can't believe I'm already filling up his activity calendar outside of school, but swim lessons are important, and gymnastics will be good for him (and it's great that he showed such interest!).

From O So August 2011



From Sophie's 1st Birthday Party


From Sophie's 1st Birthday Party


From Sophie's 1st Birthday Party

No comments:

Post a Comment